Friday, January 29, 2010

First couple of days

Things are going great so far! I came in and got lost on old campus, which is beautiful and has a very old castle. I am not sure how old. I bought a duvet and pillow and bed liner for 15 euro at Dunnes which is like Kholes or something with a grocery! It was crazy cheap. It is located in a "mall." It has about 10 stores, one of which is a butcher. A few nights ago we (the Dayton people and a university of Kentucky girl) attempted to do a pub crawl. Well...that was a bad idea, as no one was on campus because the students were on break and the pubs were empty. It was pretty fun even so though. We went to O'Neils first, which was fun but generally had an older crowd. Then one of the girls broke a glass and wanted to leave really quick but we convinced her to tell the bartender. He laughed at her when she asked if she could pay for it. Then we went to two other bars, one of which I do not know, (maybe Barney's, or something) and Callaghan's (?) for about 1 second because no one was in either of the places but the bartender and one old man, who glared at us. Then we went the Roost, which was great! By far my favorite. Stephanie, the girl who broke the glass, attracted some Irish boys somehow, who we hung out with for the rest of the night. I think she just said hey we want to talk to you come over here. How courageous! I am not sure I could do that but I am getting the hang of how things work here. The boys so friendly and fun. There was somewhat of a language barrier because we did not know the slang that they used and then they made fun of us. Oh well, at least we all are in the same boat. Then they convinced us to go over to Mantra, the only club in Maynooth, where we just sat and talked because it was really empty. All in all, it was a good night.

The next day we had orientation, which was almost completely useless, except for the signing up for classes thing.

Funny story...On the first night made the trek to Tesco (Irish walmart) on the first night, where you must bring your own bags or they will charge you and pay to use a cart, but you get your money back as long as you return the cart. I brought my backpack from 2nd grade to carry everything in. I only brought it because it fit in the suitcase better. Well, I put a bunch of cans and fruit in it and as soon as I picked it up, it split open and I almost lost everything. Luckily, Eric, another UD kid was with me and caught most of it. It could have been a disaster because I had two jars of spaghetti sauce in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment