Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Chinese Wedding

Over the weekend, I was in Dublin and was 40 minutes early for the train back to Maynooth, so I went to visit the church next to the train station. To my surprise there was a wedding going on of two Chinese people. I wondered in without just to see the church but ended up sitting in the back for about 20 minutes enjoying the service. I was accompanied by some moms with fussy babies and toddlers. They clearly did not speak very much English though half of the mass was in English. During the newlywed prayer, which they were struggling to say in English, one of the little girls running around in the back of the church, about one I would say, old enough to walk but not talk, toppled a small table with unlit candles and coins on herself. About half the congregation stood up and turned around to look at the commotion. She just lay there unsure what to do with this small table on her. Her mother was close and everything was fine, she was not hurt, but it was so funny! Luckily, I don't think that the bride and groom noticed, as they were concentrating on saying the prayer. Soon after, the little girl noticed me and I played peek-a-boo with her for a short time. What a wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment