Saturday, February 27, 2010

Slang

Some of you have been asking about funny things that people say here. Here are some commonly used slang terms:

Yer man: that guy or anyone we are talking about. As in, "Where'd you get that drink?" "Yer man" (motioning to the bartender).

Fucken Hell: General response to anything negative especially in sports or when someone has drank too much. As in "Fucken Hell, he needs to stop drinking." Said by everyone, not just the kids. I know this because there was a middle aged woman standing next to me in a gaelic football game her son was playing in and she said it in response to the other team scoring.

Go on: Used in cheering for sports, especially football (soccer) on the television. Generally when someone should steal the ball or shoot. Also used to encourage someone to drink more.

Pull: To go out to the pub with the intention of going home with someone.

Pissed: To be very drunk. As in "Let's get pissed."

Grand: Said in response to something good. Used instead of cool or good. As in "Where are you going?" "To ALDI." "Grand, grand."

Class: Commonly "That's class." Used to say something is good or cool. As in "Who's coming to the Gathering?" "The Coronas." "That's class!"

Craic: Commonly "Good craic." Good fun. Pronounced crack.

Lad: Boy/man

How ya keeping?: How are you?

How's the head?: How are you feeling? Generally said after a big night of drinking.

What's the story?: What's going on/What's up? (I am not really sure exactly what this means so I have a hard time answering it. For instance I do not think that good is a appropriate answer. On the other hand, I am not sure that any answer is needed as in the American "What's up?".)

Give out: Get in a verbal fight or to reprimand. As in "She gave out to him after he called her a ginger."

Gas: Funny. Commonly "What's the gas?" when approaching a group that is having fun/laughing.

Jacks: Bathroom. Generally said only by lads.

Savage: Awesome. As in "That DJ last night was savage!"

Sliced pan: Label on bread that is relatively thinly sliced already, though not sliced consistently. This is annoying when making a sandwich with two very uneven pieces of bread.

Disclaimer: These are my definitions and my experiences. Do not attempt to use these terms in the U.S. People will get confused or offended, much like I was before I learned these meanings. I heard from someone that when they were in the U.S. and said "What's that Craic?" a police officer overheard and questioned him about his drug usage. I am not really sure if this person was pulling my leg or not. I am having trouble knowing when people are sarcastic, which is often.

No comments:

Post a Comment